Saturday, April 26, 2008

Middle of Nowhere Covered Bridge




Today we took part in the 4th Annual Nature and Bird Walk at what used to be Down to Earth Gardens. Actually, it’s a privately owned 100 acre piece of land that the owners, Patti and Pierre, enjoy sharing. They have even built a covered bridge across a stream that flows in a rather lively manner in the spring time. There are other interesting things to be found in this patch of woods, including the remains of an old car and a face on a tree.
Their neighbour and retired Ministry of Natural Resources worker, John MacKenzie, led the walk, sharing his expertise about the wild side of nature and identified many trees for us along the way.

This cache is easy to find. In fact, I made a point of printing off the sheet from www.geocaching.com before setting out, thinking I would pick up this cache along the way. Unfortunately, the co-ordinates didn’t print with the rest of the info, and I didn’t happen to notice until after I turned the computer off. I actually used the "where would I hide a cache" method, and found it without the coordinates.

A couple of the other people on the hike came off the trail to see what I was doing. I had hoped the
trail guide would keep them all busy for a couple of minutes, with his stories, but instead, I think I’ve convinced a few people that this hobby can be great fun.
GC13AQE

No comments: