Monday, May 12, 2008

Tip to Tip




It was a nice day for a walk Saturday, and we had some time so we went to Burritts Rapids to do the Tip to Tip cache there. I’ve walked the trail heading west before, and for some reason, thought that was the direction we would be going for this cache. Of course, I should know by now, I’m never right when I think I know where I’m going.

I had read the logs last year, and knew that the sign mentioned at the first waypoint was missing, so I looked up the numbers needed to calculate the second point. It was the year that Burritts Rapids was founded. The second waypoint was easy to find, once we realized my preformed assumptions were false.




The sign at the third waypoint, was however, also missing, so we couldn’t do any calculations after that. We did press on though, knowing the rest of the clues had colours associated with them and thought we might be able to spot at least one of them along the way. No such luck. We did see turtles, fish and even a couple of fishermen....not to mention a red trillium among the usual white ones. And we found a lovely hidden spot for a picnic, complete with three tables and a barbecue. There was even a little garden planted around a tree. I’ve only been going to this place for 34 years and had never found this spot before. This is just another example of the treasures that can be found while geocaching. It’s not all about what’s in the actual cache itself.

This particular cache is supposedly hidden near something that should be easy to spot, but we didn’t find that either.

I’m not logging this as a Did Not Find. It’s close to home and we WILL find it.....eventually. Yes, we are both that stubborn.

GC76B0

No comments: