Monday, May 12, 2008

You Can't go Home Again

Sunday was Mother’s Day. After a lovely breakfast, we went to Ottawa to do a bit of shopping. I knew of a cache near were we would be, so I brought the GPS along.



Back in the 1960’s, I lived, and then worked at CFB Rockcliffe. I spent a total of 11 years there, but when we drove through what was left of the base, I got a real shock. The big building I used to work in is gone, as are all the homes in the area where I used to live. The remaining ones are mainly empty, though I did see the odd car parked here and there, and a clothesline full of clothes. From the look of the remaining roads, though, I doubt that these houses are going to be left standing much longer. The parade square was actually growing grass in many places.

We made our way to the Rockcliffe Parkway, a road that definitely didn’t exist when I lived in the area. It runs below the cliff I used to live on, and through some rather nice parkland. There are lots of bicycle trails and a marina down there too.




The cache we were looking for is really one of a series of twelve. I haven’t been to any of the others yet. In fact, this is the first time I’ve gone geocaching around the city at all. But if the rest of this series is as nice as this one, I might just have to look them all up. The person who placed the cache went to a bit of trouble. I don’t want to give anything away by saying just what, but he didn’t just drop a container behind a rock or cover it with a piece of bark, as is often the case.




Finding this one made us feel better about not finding the one we looked for yesterday. I’m just about ready to become a premium member, so I can just download any cache that happens to be on what ever route we happen to be traveling. Am I hooked, do you think?

GC19KT5

No comments: