Sunday, July 6, 2008

You Win Some, You Lose Some

Today we finally succeeded at finding a cache, and then failed at finding another one.

We had tried to find the cache at Burritts Rapids twice before. It’s a multi, and the first time we were stopped when we discovered the sign referred to for waypoint 3 had been destroyed. A couple of other waypoints described things by colours though, so we continued along the trail and tried to find something useful so we might continue our quest. No such luck.

After reading the logs online, I discovered that the clues for waypoint 3 were still there, written somewhere with magic marker, so off we went again. We got to where waypoint 4 was supposed to be, and I remembered reading in the logs that if you found yourself standing on the grass, not near anything, (as I did) to take 6 steps in a certain direction. I tried that and saw a metal post, the sort of which should have had a blue tag on it. It was bent over and had no tag .

It was back to the drawing board. Or in my case, the computer to e-mail the person in charge of this particular cache to say that it had been destroyed once again. He apparently checked and e-mailed me back to say I should be looking for a green 2x2 wooden post, in the same general area I had been. And if I didn’t find that, the next waypoint was also written in magic marker someplace else.....and he told me where.

Well, today we went to try this one again, and found the marker for waypoint 4 but it wasn’t on the sort of stake he told me it was. We could not find where he may have written it where he said that was either. But we did have new numbers from what we did find, so off we went.

Well, hey, we found waypoint 5, though it was sitting in the middle of a swamp (we HAVE had a lot of rain this year, after all). After that it was easy to find the actual cache. Mind you, the bugs were bad, so I grabbed the first thing that caught my eye without even looking at the rest of it, signed the book and got the heck out of there while there was still enough blood in my veins to survive the experience.

It only took 3 trips to this area to find the darn thing, but you can't say we aren't persistent.

GC76B0

.................................

After that, we went looking for something at the Ferguson Forest Centre. There are several caches in there. We stood right at Ground Zero for one of them but never did find the cache. It was probably staring us in the face, since the guy that hid it is famous for cleverly disguising his caches. We even checked into an animal hole. Ground hog, or possibly fox. Nothing. More bugs, and a lot of heat, so we gave up on that for today.

I did venture down an embankment for some pictures, but the mud started sucking me into the little stream. One minute I was fine, then, without even moving, I started sliding. I was going to land in that stream for sure but I managed to grab something and stop myself just in time. I did get rather muddy in the process though.

GC103D5

No comments: