Saturday, June 21, 2008

At the Head of the Nation

We had a lovely lunch with number one son in Brockville today, followed by a little shopping and then off to the boonies to hunt for treasure. Two new spots had popped up in my e-mail this week, down in the area of Carpenters Tomb. We decided to go take a look on the way home.

One was quite similar to Carpenters Tomb, though much smaller in size. I’d love to show you but that would spoil the discovery for other geocachers reading this. (the rest of you can contact me and I’ll send you a picture, if you like). Anyway, it wasn’t hard to find and I didn’t have to feed any bugs to get to the site.

The other cache was another matter. Luckily we came well equipped with bug spray and made good use of it before venturing into the woods. It was feeding time by then, you can be sure. The land is posted as "no trespassing, and no hunting" but I’ve now seen another geocacher post a picture standing near that sign saying "Oh, there WILL be hunting here today!" Actually, it didn’t take much hunting, but it was a lovely walk. The cache posting tells us about this sign, but also says that’s to keep others out. Apparently they don’t mind having the geocachers as we are a good bunch for cleaning up any trash found along the trail, and not
leaving any of our own.

The trail is well maintained, and leads to a couple of wooden bridges across Fern bank Creek that is apparently the headwaters of the Nation River. There is a mystery to be found and identified at the cache. I was so busy looking for, and then at, the cache that I almost missed the mysterious thing we were supposed to identify. Well, it’s not too mysterious once you find it, but it is the biggest one I’ve ever seen. Once again, I’m not about to spoil the fun for any geocachers by spilling the beans here.

All in all, it was a very nice day, especially since it didn’t rain and the sun actually came out for most of the day.

No comments: