Monday, June 16, 2008

Osgoode Area Caches



On Thursday, June 12, we decided we had time to go exploring the Osgoode, Manotick region. I printed off a few cache listings and off we went.
Our first stop took us on a long walk down a trail that had many large animal prints. They had definite claw marks and were too big to be dogs. It was obvious there were several animals roaming this trail, and I admit I kept looking back over my shoulder. There are all kinds of coyotes and bears around these parts, but since there were so many prints, I’m more inclined to think it was the coyotes. I have some pictures to show a friend who works for the Ministry of Natural Resources so maybe I’ll know what we were looking at soon. My own online search pretty well confirms the coyote idea though.

Anyway, it was a nice walk through the woods, with wildflowers growing here and there. The first path we followed ran along the side of a big field. Further back into the woods I noticed that the trees had actually been planted in straight rows in some areas.
As usual, in such areas, bug repellent was a definite necessity.

The second stop was at a town park. Of course, in such cases you have to be careful that people don’t see what you are doing. There were several very small children playing in the park. We pulled the car over by the side of the road to get our bearings on the GPS and at that point, I’m thinking that the woman with the little kids is wondering what we’re up to. We drove around the block and came back, and then parked someplace more logical. We did some walking around and then found the cache in a very clever and unexpected hiding place. A couple of the kids, by this time, were headed in our direction, so we actually took the cache back to the car to do the trade. Luckily the woman decided to gather the kids up and take them out of the park about that time, so we were able to put the cache back in it’s hiding place without anyone seeing anything. I think this one would have been impossible during the evening, as there would likely have been a lot of older kids around then.

No comments: