Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Up the Garden Path


For several years we have gone on various Artist Studio Tours, and last weekend there were two available. I took the brochures and bounced their maps against the maps at geocaching.com and Sunday, May 17th, we decided we would take in part of the one called Up the Garden Path. It was billed as an art and garden tour.

We came off the 401 at the Mallorytown exit, and found a place to park so we could look for the cache there. That one is called Calibrate, as you are instructed to place your GPS on a specific spot and see how close your readings are to the ones listed for the cache. My GPS was dead on, all except for the elevation. My GPS read us 10 feet lower, but since I will likely never have to know how high I am, I guess that’s not too bad. I picked up a geocoin there. It has a dragon prayer on it that reads:
"May you always find what you are looking for; a good life, a good love or a good cache."
This is the first geocoin I’ve ever found, but when I tried to register it, I may have done it wrong as the only one with that number hasn’t been seen in years, and nobody claimed to have left one with that number at this location. Oh well, I tried. I’ll only pass it on once I know for sure I’m logging the correct number.
One other treasure found at that location was a family of Canada geese. They where right beside the road, and didn’t leave when we stopped right beside them. And to think I used to have to go to the Upper Canada Bird sanctuary to see the geese at feeding time, and they never came anywhere near this close!



We left that location and drove into Mallorytown. The next cache was at a little park and was also a quick, easy find. Right around the corner from that there was a building containing art displays. This isn’t the usual venue for this sort of tour. It was obvious that, while this looked like a house, nobody actually lived there. They told us that it had been recently renovated to house various displays throughout the year.

Not far from there was our final cache for the day. It’s listed as being the site of Canada’s first Glass Works, and there is a plaque there to tell you about that.

We went from there to Pond Road, just outside of Lyn, to the studio and garden of Jean Marr. It’s hard for me to go there without bringing something home. She’s a potter who makes beautiful things. There was one little dish that I had to talk myself out of. I really liked it, but have no idea what I would have used it for, and it was too small to just put on display. I’m already regretting leaving it there......

No comments: