Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blueberry Expedition

On Saturday, July 26th, we took a run up Highway 7 to renew our supply of blueberries. Little did I know we would practically have to mortgage the house to get some. As it was, I settled for just 3 litres, as that cost us $47. Divided into 6 soft margarine containers for the freezer, that will have to last us for the year.

As has become our custom, we don’t just go somewhere and come back without at least looking to see if we can find some treasure along the way. I discovered that there were 3 caches along aother little strip of old railway bed, and they looked close enough together that I was prepared to hunt for all three. As it turns out, we parked in three separate places, and went down different sections of the trail from roadside access points for each of those three caches.

The first one was near a large swamp, which made it rather interesting. After a decent hike down the trail, we found the cache quite easily. I had to dump a couple of inches of water out of it though, as it wasn’t in a very good quality container. The other two caches were placed by the same family, and had the same sort of container. Each of them had actual holes in the lids, so everything was quiet damp, but since they were hidden under rocks, they at least were not full of water like the first one. I sent the owner some maintenance notes when we got home. I see we were not the only ones to find these caches in that sort of state, but others just filled out the log and never notified the owners of the problem. I hope they get out there and replace these containers soon, before the log books are totally ruined.

One great thing about these caches was that we got to see all the beautifully kept farms along Old Brooke Road. Well worth the side trip, I must say.

Our next stop was at Silver Lake. There were lots of muggles about (people not into geocaching), so we had to be careful. Luckily I had my camera with me, so I took pictures of the lake, and got myself interested in anything that was growing in the area, as I had a pretty good idea just where the cache could be, and I wanted to check that out without being caught. Three fisherman on one side of me, a couple picnicking on the other, soon lost interest in me as I clambered about on the rocks near the shore. Luckily, there was a tree between me and the fishermen when I finally got close enough to get my hands on the cache. I removed it, and went to another location to inspect the treasures, and sign the log, before going back to replace it. I had the hubby stand on top of the rock pile, so I could take his picture up there. Hopefully that fooled the fishermen as to why I would return to the same area.






After we left there, it wasn’t too much further before we got to the blueberry stand. We go to the same one year after year. The berries were a good size this year. I suppose all this rain has plumped them up, and kept them from drying out. I would have liked more than I got, after coming all this distance, but it was hard enough to pay out as much as we did for those little blue treasures.

Of course, once we had them, we couldn’t geocache anymore or they would just cook in the car. So that was the end of the fun for that day.

No comments: