Monday, July 6, 2009

On the Trail Again....

It was a busy weekend. We had a wedding reception to go to, and company coming to join us for breakfast the next morning. I enjoyed that, and think we will have to do it again sometime. We all went over to check out Canalfest after breakfast. Luckily there was no sign of rain, for a change. It was a lovely day to be by the canal, and cruise through the craft booths, then head back to the house to continue our visit.

Later in the day, we decided to go see if we could find a geocache large enough to deposit a particular travel bug in. It was called the comet, and sort of resembled a ball with a windsock trailing out from it. Anyway, it was larger than any of the other travel bugs I've seen in the past, so I knew I had to find a decent sized cache to put it in. We didn't want to have to travel too far since it was already late in the day. I located coordinates for two....one in each direction.... and after deciding which to tackle, we headed out towards Smiths Falls.


The Lost Railroad (GCZTNX) is a lovely trail on an old abandoned railway line. It is part of the Cataraqui Trail and runs through diverse landscape from Smiths Falls to Strathcona. That's about 104 kilometres. Even the section we were on had swamplands, cuts between rock faces, open fields and forest. It also had some interesting looking pathways to nearby homes along one stretch. It was a good walk, and probably took us 45 minutes or so, to go and come back. We even saw a couple of deer cross the trail ahead of us at one point. Unfortunately they were too far away for my camera to be of any use. It was a great day for a walk, and I'm glad that, once again, geocaching got us to stop and walk along a trail we had driven past numerous times without really realizing it was there. After reading more about it once I got home, I discovered that this trail is also part of the Trans Canada Trail. I know where there are more sections of this around here, and I will be wanting to explore further, cache or no cache.

No comments: