Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Guardian of the Cache


We finally had a chance to go geocaching this past weekend. We took a long walk in the Mac Johnson Wildlife Area, near Brockville, known locally as the Black Pond. It wasn't that the cache was really all that far from the parking lot, but there are lots of trails and we kept picking the wrong one.

Once we did get to the right area, which was near an old farm house foundation, we found muggles lurking about. It was such a lovely day that there were lots of people on the trails. However, there was a lady and two boys hanging out in just the wrong spot for us to go snooping about. We explored the ruins, and sat on a nearby bench waiting for them to move off. But they didn't seem to be going anywhere and I thought that perhaps they were geocaching too, and that they were waiting for us to move on also. So we walked by them and I stopped to look at a couple of interesting things (where I figured the cache might be hidden). Sure enough, I spotted it, but couldn't call attention to that.

We wandered further along the trail and around another bend. We were waiting again. Just when I decided that we would just declare this a found cache, even if we didn't get to look inside or sign the log, the group finally wandered off.

When I went to move the bark and sticks hiding the jar, I saw something that I thought at first was one of the toys that should have been inside the jar. A little snake. Cute I thought, and in such an appropriate place. But oops, it wasn't a toy. Luckily I rather like snakes so that didn't bother me. I thought I'd better log this guardian of the cache though, just in case someone else needs to be warned.

No comments: