Saturday, March 22, 2008

Battle of the Windmill



In 1838 about two hundred American "Patriot Hunters" crossed the St Lawrence, about 2 km east of Prescott, Ontario, with ideas of capturing Fort Wellington. They ran aground at Windmill Point, and thought the gristmill, with thick stone walls, would make a great fortress. They were able to inflict some damage by placing sharp shooters high up in the windmill, but were soon well outnumbered by the British forces. They were cut off from escape by gun boats on the river, and soon ran out of food, water and medical supplies. The battle lasted only 4 days before they were forced to surrender.


I was to this site years ago, when my children were small.. I don’t remember it having trails or being able to get to the water in those days. I may just have to return with a picnic and my grandson, to watch the ships go by someday.


GCJHPA

No comments: